Purpose and Mission
To promote collaboration, networking, and resource sharing as a means to strengthen and support high quality Latino child health research and serve as a home for Latinx scientists and researchers at all levels and experiences.
Current SIG Goals
- Formally change the name to Latino Child Health Research SIG.
- To identify priorities among the SIG members for programming at PAS.
- Identify one potential small, attainable project for interested members of the group to collaborate on as we explore how the new SIG will use strengths and member interest to direct research priorities.
This year at the annual PAS meeting in Baltimore we had a combined event with the Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics SIG entitled, “Immigration Policy at the Bedside: What we know and what we can do about adversity and developmental outcomes in Latino immigrant children” Our objectives were to provide an overview of current immigration policy and its impact on children along with the known impact of childhood adversity on development. We followed this overview by inviting researchers with expertise in mental health and quality improvement to discuss their specific research as case studies of how adversity in Latino immigrant population is currently being studied and approached. There was open discussion around strengths and limitations in current research, how to prioritize new research questions, and we discussed innovative program ideas being proposed and piloted around the country.
Other groups (other SIGs and other groups not in the APA) that work in your area of interest:
- APA Race in Medicine SIG
- APA Serving the Underserved SIG
- APA Global Health SIG
- AAP Immigrant Health SIG
- APA Developmental Pediatrics SIG
- APA Patient and Family-Centered Care SIG