The Academic Pediatric Association (APA) provides consultation and potential accreditation of academic general pediatrics (AGP) fellowship programs.
Why an Accreditation Program?
- Ensure that future faculty are equipped with the fundamental skills to succeed in academic pediatrics.
- Enhance the quality and consistency of academic general pediatric fellowships.
- Allow for individuality of programs, yet enable them to achieve core goals and objectives.
- Promote more recognition of AGP fellowships.
- Encourage more residents to select academic general pediatrics as a career choice.
Programs eligible for APA Accreditation:
- Dedicated to the teaching of scholarly skills to fellows in general pediatrics, including academic general pediatrics, hospital medicine, community pediatrics, health services research, health policy and related pediatric disciplines
- Training program of at least 2 years duration
- Not a purely clinical training program
- Not eligible for ACGME accreditation
How to apply for consultation and/or accreditation:
- Decide whether your program is eligible to apply.
- Carefully review:
- Download a copy of the Program Description Form.
- Decide whether your program can meet the accreditation requirements.
- Decide whether you wish to apply immediately, or would like a consultation visit to help you develop a plan to meet accreditation standards.
- Call the APA Office for answers to any questions (703) 556-9222.
- Submit your application by September 1 to assure review before the following July. Cover letter (To be submitted with completed Program Description Form)
- A site visit will be scheduled to discuss your program's compliance with accreditation standards.
- Accreditation, if approved, will begin on July 1 at the earliest.
- Accreditation Evaluation
Note: In some cases, provisional accreditation based on careful review of the written application may precede a site visit.
Initial Application Fee: $3,000
Annual Registration Fee: $2,500
Consultation Visit: $3,000 + expenses
Annual Schedule of Submission and Review
July 1: Applications accepted for next accreditation cycle
September 1: Final date for submission of applications to be considered for next accreditation cycle
January 1: Beginning of annual site visit period
June 30: Accreditations take effect for the current cycle