How to Apply
Individuals may nominate themselves or a colleague. To be considered or nominate a colleague for this award, an individual or nominator must:
- Be a current APA member
- Fill out the common application
- Submit a copy of the written abstract that was submitted to the upcoming PAS Meeting
- Submit a copy of the acceptance notification provided by PAS
This award was established to honor the life achievements of Michael Shannon, MD, MPH, (1953-2009). Dr. Shannon was a professor at Harvard Medical School. He was the first African-American to be named full professor of Pediatrics at the institution, (2004). He was also the first African-American to serve as division chief at Children’s Hospital Boston and served as chief of both the emergency medicine and clinical pharmacology departments. He was considered the preeminent pediatric toxicologist in the world and a prolific writer, having published more than 50 peer-reviewed articles in major scientific journals. He was lead editor of one of the authoritative texts of medical toxicology, Haddad and Winchester’s Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose, 4th Edition, published in 2007. He was also Medical Editor-in-Chief of ToxEd, and Board Co-Chair of that Publication.
This award is granted to the best abstract(s) accepted to the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) Meeting in the topic areas of pharmacology/toxicology, drug reactions/events, substance abuse, environmental health, disaster preparedness/response, and emergency medicine.
There are two Michael Shannon Award Categories:
The first or last author must be a current member of the APA to be considered for this award.
Nominees must be able to demonstrate the acceptance of their abstract to the upcoming PAS Meeting.
- Natalie Tedford, MD
- Zana Percy, BS Childhood Urinary Organophosphate Esters and Cognitive Abilities of the HOME study
- Stephanie L. Mayne, PhD, MHS The Association of Neighborhood Social Environment and Maternal Stress
- Robert Clemons, MD, MPH University of Louisville
- Karin Oh Vanderbilt University
- Marissa Hauptman, MD, MPH
- Mona Hanna-Attisha, MD MPH FAAP
- Megan Romano, MD
- Birgit Claus Henn, MD
- Mateusz Karwowski, MD, MPH
- Abby Fleisch, MD
- Adam Spanier, MD, PhD, MPH
- Adelheid Soubry, PhD