The purpose and mission of the Pediatric Hospital Medicine (PHM) Leadership SIG is to address the need for leadership development within PHM – leadership is not unique to division directors or fellowship directors so a combined leadership focused PHM SIG will help focus on the common issues of both groups and provide a forum for those groups to interact and also serve as a vital networking opportunity. In our inaugural meeting, we focused on the PHM workforce and the challenges presented to leaders.
Current SIG Goals
- Recruiting and retaining faculty at all stages of career, focusing in particular on innovative ways to engage and develop leaders
- Funding, sustaining and growing hospitalist programs as well as fellowship training programs through objective assessments and the accumulation of shared knowledge and expertise
- Providing PHM leaders with essential leadership skills, education, and mentorship
During our inaugural session at PAS 2018, we focused on negotiation with senior leaders and invited a panel of experts from around the country to share their experiences with negotiating with PHM leaders at their respective institutions. The panel included a CEO, Department Chair, Community Hospitalist Director and a Fellowship Director. The panelists each offered their unique perspective and then there was a Q & A.
There were approximately 50 participants who were thoroughly engaged with the panel. The panel session was followed by breakout sessions that focused on 3 areas:
- What does your title really mean?
- How does the financial stream of your institution and division affect your program?
- Getting to know you, inner procrastinator.
Over the course of this year, we have partnered with the AAP SOHM Division Directors Subcommittee to collaborate on shared goals with a plan to provide a joint session at the 2019 Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting in Baltimore MD. Initiatives that we are focused on include:
- Development of an online repository of educational materials for leaders.
- Development of a mentorship and consultation program.
- Rigorous collection of metrics from leaders of hospitalist programs, fellowship programs, site directors, trainee education leaders, and others to better define the current and on-going state of the field.
Further details on our second annual SIG meeting at PAS 2019 will be coming soon.
Other groups (other SIGs and other groups not in the APA) that work in your area of interest:
- Division Directors
- Hospital Medicine