Purpose and Mission
The GH SIG promotes health equity and supports professional development from a global perspective by raising awareness among US pediatricians on key global health priorities and effective international health partnership approaches.
Current SIG Goals
- Support the global health award to provide a platform for junior investigators in the developing world.
- Organize a platform that highlights scale and partnerships in global health research.
- Assist with coordination of other child health programming at the PAS meeting.
The SIG meeting featured a program on developing international partnerships with a keynote by director of the Fogarty Center at the NIH, Dr. Roger Glass. The global health award highlighted an innovative, interdisciplinary partnership between an American and Indian university in developing a medical device, a cardboard incubator, for low- resource settings. In addition, the SIG sponsored its first networking social.
The SIG participated in a meeting with other organizations with global health content at PAS including Coalition of Universities in Global Health (CUGH,) Coalition for Centres in Global Child Health (CCGCH,) American Board of Pediatrics (ABP,) International Pediatric Society (IPA,) and American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP.)
Other groups (other SIGs and other groups not in the APA) that work in your area of interest:
- AAP SOICH (American Academy of Pediatrics Section on International Child Health)
- APPD PEG (Association of Pediatric Program Directors Pediatric Education Group)
- CCGCH (Consortium of Centers for Global Child Health)