E-Learning is defined as any type of learning that is enabled or delivered to learners by Internets and Intranets or other types of computer networks. In recent years e-Learning environments have begun to incorporate web technology platforms to provide a simple and time flexible instructional delivery mode. The transition to online distance learning is creating a paradigm shift in the way health care professionals deliver instruction. Training is needed for the development of computer-based, alternative methods of course delivery and communication in medical education. The goal of the SIG for e-learning in Medical Education is to help and encourage healthcare professionals to adopt new instructional delivery modes, to supplement or replace more traditional educational formats, and to identify teaching strategies that are time effective for their busy schedules. The SIG will also assist physicians and other healthcare professionals to select the best online teaching techniques, redesign their content and curriculum, incorporate self-directed, student-centered learning, and more effectively use computers to meet their learning objectives.
Mission and Vision
The SIG for e-Learning in Medical Education is a forum for medical educators with an interest in the use of e-Learning to support teaching and learning. With support from the Academic Pediatric Association (APA) this SIG is an opportunity for APA members to network, share ideas, resources, and experiences in the development and use of e-learning in medical education. The SIG will enable members to keep up to date with national e-Learning initiatives and potential funding opportunities as well as provide support for help and advice to effectively design, develop, teach and evaluate online courses. Annual meetings will take place at the PAS annual conference, and on-demand meetings will be conducted online using available technologies.
Objectives of the SIG for e-Learning in Medical Education are to:
- Provide expertise and training to medical educators to effectively design, develop, teach and evaluate online courses, as well as to convert existing teaching materials into a format appropriate for e-Learning.
- Educate APA members/healthcare professionals to transition from traditional methodologies to student-centered, interactive online learning through conference workshops and meetings.
- Encourage healthcare professionals to take advantage of the benefits of a digital world.
- Establish a sustainable and expanding e-Learning network of medical educators to share knowledge and experience and showcase innovative practice and development.
- Share latest developments, e-Learning technologies and ideas on the e-Learning SIG listserv.
- Participate in educational activities to establish a common baseline understanding of e-Learning technologies and applications.
- Establish best-practice standards for the development of new online learning modules and encourage research to examine the effectiveness of e-Learning.
- Keep abreast of current online programs and review national and international developments in e-learning.