We are currently accepting applications for the position of Co-Chair of the Academic Pediatric Association (APA) Hospital Medicine Special Interest Group (SIG). There is one available elected position for a Co-Chair who will serve a three-year term starting July 2021.
Three co-chairs with staggered terms run the APA Hospital Medicine SIG. The responsibilities of an APA Hospital Medicine SIG Co-Chair include:
- Active engagement in the SIG business at the APA
- Attendance in monthly conference calls with the other SIG Co-Chairs to advance the Hospital Medicine community within the APA
- Publication of the Hospital Medicine SIG report in the APA Newsletter
- Organization of the annual Hospital Medicine SIG session at the PAS meeting
- Participation on the annual Pediatric Hospital Medicine (PHM) meeting planning committee. In non-virtual meeting years, this commitment includes an in person meeting the Sunday afternoon and Monday morning after the PHM meeting (hotel and meal expenses covered by the PHM planning committee).
The elected SIG Co-Chair will use their own creativity and enthusiasm to advance the field of Hospital Medicine within the APA while working closely with the three Societies that support PHM. The SIG Co-Chair elected in 2021 will be a member of the annual PHM Conference planning committee for three years (helping to plan conferences in 2022, 2023 and 2024). In the third year of their term, they will serve as the PHM Conference Co-Chair for the 2024 meeting. The elected SIG Co-Chair will also be a voting member of the Consortium of Pediatric Hospital Medicine (CPHM) in their final two years. The CPHM is a group that brings together leaders from the three key organizations that support Pediatric Hospital Medicine (including the APA, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Society of Hospital Medicine) to ensure collaboration and communication throughout various projects and initiatives.
Candidates must be a pediatric hospitalist and member of the APA in good standing. Prospective candidates should include the following in their submission:
- Current Curriculum Vitae in .pdf format
- Statement of interest, the candidate’s credentials, and their ideas on how they plan to move the SIG forward over the next three years and promote PHM involvement within the APA (250 words)
Submissions should be submitted via the following link: APA HM SIG Co-Chair Nominations by Friday, April 16th at 5pm.
Members of the APA listserv will be eligible to vote if they are active members of the APA and members of the Hospital Medicine SIG. If you are a member of the APA, please be sure you are signed up for the Hospital Medicine SIG. Send Laura Turner (Laurat@academicpeds.org) an email to add yourself to the SIG roster if you have not received an email from our listserv previously. We will be using the SIG listserv to send out information about the election and our ballot in March. Online elections will be held from April 26th – May14th. Be sure you are included!
The results of the election will be announced during the SIG Meeting at PAS held virtually on May 26th, 2021 (session scheduled from 9am-11am Central).
Erin Shaughnessy (SIG Co-Chair 2017-2021) firstname.lastname@example.org
Annie Andrews (SIG Co-Chair 2018-2022) email@example.com
Francisco Alvarez (SIG Co-Chair 2019-2023 firstname.lastname@example.org