New Resources - Supplemental Learning: Violence
Section Contributor: Teresa Duryea, MD
Website with hundreds of links to national database, CDC and other federal resources, educational programs, funded projects. Violence Prevention Topics (PC1, IPCS 1)
Website of Prevent Child Abuse America. Includes links to other databases and information. Key elements: Advocacy, Resources for researchers and students, Tip sheets and brochures for parents and providers.
Website of the AAP Council on Injury, Violence and Poison Prevention (COIVPP) contains links to AAP Policy Statements and Publications and TIPP (The Injury Prevention Program) guidelines for counseling. (PBL1 1)
1. Primary Care Intervention to Prevent Child Maltreatment. Draft. 2013. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf13/childabuse/childmaltreatdraftrec.htm
2. Counseling for Youth Violence. Release Date: 1996
3. Screening for Intimate Partner Violence and Abuse of Elderly and Vulnerable Adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement
Virginia A. Moyer, MD, MPH, on behalf of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force*Ann Intern Med. 2013;158:478-486
4. Screening Women for Intimate Partner Violence. A Systematic Review to Update the 2004 U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation. Release Date: May 2012. By Heidi D. Nelson, MD, MPH; Christina Bougatsos, MPH; and Ian Blazina, MPH. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf12/ipvelder/ipvelderart.htm
5. Behavioral Interventions and Counseling to Prevent Child Abuse and Neglect: A Systematic Review to Update the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Shelley S. Selph, MD; Christina Bougatsos, MPH; Ian Blazina, MPH; and Heidi D. Nelson, MD, MPH Ann Intern Med. 2013;158:179-190.
Recommendations for primary care clinicians and health systems developed by an independent panel of non-Federal experts in prevention and evidence-based medicine. (PC 1, IPCS 1)
Simulated Patient Case used to recognize risk factors for domestic violence, chronic unexplained pain as a common presenting symptom in survivors of domestic violence, to demonstrate screening for domestic violence and to respond appropriately to survivors of violence. (PC 1, IPCS 1)
MedEdPORTAL; 2009. www.mededportal.org/publication/7890
This 4-hour session gives medical students experience in diagnosing, counseling, and reporting, as appropriate, abuse of children, partners, and elders. (PC1, IPCS 1)